Thursday, May 1, 2008

Getting Crafty

As part of our ongoing salute to MaryJanesFarm, a weekly theme was about crafting. The only photo I have online of something I made is of a sampler I stitched and dedicated to my grandmother.

Going up our staircase, I have hung 14 samplers I have made through the years. I just love the look of old samplers, and I love the stories they tell of family, of a young girl's ability to stitch, and of the memories of living through the generations. The really, really old samplers, like those on display at Williamsburg, Virginia, are astounding in their loveliness. Anyway, I decided I would start a collection of my own. I have made samplers honoring our home, our marriage, our daughter, our mother's and grandmothers.....

I love to sit in the evenings and stitch, looking at the beautiful colors of floss nearby and feeling linen between my fingers.....to think that in the olde days, these samplers were done by 8 and 9 year old girls at schools especially made to teach young women the crafts of keeping a home!

Remember to check out www.maryjanesfarm.org and see the lovely stitched crafts shown in her new magazine! I almost hate to use the word crafts because it is really art. Fine art in my book!

Here is the sampler dedicated to my grandmother:

Sampler for my grandmother

No comments: